Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Back ready for the purfling


I have the back of the violin about 12% thick right now, from 2.2mm to 4.8mm thick. It weighs 119g and the ring tone is E (328). It seems like the tone has gone down some. I thought it was a half tone over the Sugar Maple back, but that one is at 316, so now it is only slightly above the Sugar Maple one. I think it is the mode three that is throwing me off. This one mode 3 is only a sixth below mode 5 and the other is almost exactly an octave. Of course the Sugar Maple one is just about finished, and this one isn't. It's at the point now where I have to get the purfling in before I can go any further. I've had a bit of a problem with this one. I always carve the inside, then rough the outside. Now when I've started to finish the outside, the edges have started to curl up in the upper and lower bouts. It actually rocks on the center. It is a little better today. A few days ago it seemed like it was almost curved like a smile. Maybe the weather has something to do with it. I just brought the Sugar Maple one upstairs to check the tap tones. That one is indeed bent like a smile! I don't think it will matter. You can push it down easily, so gluing will not be a problem. Maybe I need to rough both sides in before finishing. But then again I haven't had this happen before.
The photo on the last post was out my front door one morning last week. We ended up with 7", and it's still here 2 weeks later because it hasn't been above 32 since before the storm. We are supposed to warm up for a day. Get lots of rain. And then freeze again. As long as the power doesn't go out it doesn't matter. Have a good new year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ken - am battling to get into this commentary - I am making four - have a sample to repair - would love to make contact via email - my email address is mproome@mweb.co.za
    Ilive in Johannesburg - South Africa - look forward to making contact with you
    Many thanks
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus, Sorry it took me a while to see this. For some reason my comment alert goes to my e-mail, but ends up in spam! There should be something in your email.
      thank you for reading ,
      Ken

      Delete