Thursday, January 6, 2011

Purfling is in


I just got done gluing the purfling. I don't think it came out too bad. One spot on the photo where it looks wiggly is just where it is pushed over when I pushed it into the groove, and the groove was a little shallow there. Should remember to check the depth all along the whole length. I just noticed the outline looks a little lopsided! Oh well, I'm in good company. I've only seen one instrument that was almost perfectly symmetrical...at least looking at old instruments. Maybe the new "perfection" ethic of violin making has made the quest for symmetry and perfect corners, bee-stings and f-holes like a holy grail. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against makers trying to make a perfect instrument. Not at all. Heh, if I could do it I'd try too! I'm more interested in making one that sounds great, and looks good enough where someone might actually want to play it.
I just turned it over and looked at the belly. It looks much more symmetrical. Then I remembered. The back had an area at the top that was cut close to the planned outline, not 3-5mm outside the line. When I glued the ribs on I had to squeeze the c'bouts in some to get the belly to have some overhang, and in the process lost some of the overhang on the back at the top. I figured the c-bouts were more important. So it was self inflicted wound. That wouldn't be the first either. We try for perfection, and never reach it. The things we try for are the usually the things other people admire. Many of our failings are self inflicted. Sometimes we get the chance to do things over and over and can improve with time. But sometimes we have other things we have to do, with no experience and we have to learn again. When dealing with things we haven't done before, and no time to learn, the only thing we can do is pray and trust God. If you're going out where you haven't gone before take Jesus with you. Don't go it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment