Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fitting the bass bar


I have the belly somewhat tuned in now and I would normally cut the f holes now. I noticed in the Keith Hill area tuning page he puts the bass bar in BEFORE the f holes. I emailed and asked him about this and he responded that is was easier and less complicated that way for him. I decided to give it a try and see for myself. It's not like I always follow the rules anyway. I always rough in the bass bar before I glue on the studs. I've read on maestronet Oded Kishony's idea of locating the bar on the ends. Sounds like a great idea, so I did it that way.
I rough fit my bar, and then cut the extra bar length into 2 pieces to work as the locator's. I cut notches in them and deepened them until the bass bar just squeezed in between them when they are up against the end blocks. A couple of scrap pieces of wood were glued on the the locator blocks and the end blocks to hold the entire thing together. After the glue dries I'll pull the bar out, hopefully without breaking the glue bond since it is pretty tight, and take a little off the ends so it will actually slide in and out easily, but not be sloppy. When it's all done and glued up I can just pop off the glued on pieces and don't have any chunks of wood to carve off the belly. It also should be easier to fit the bar...I always have trouble getting chalk in between the studs!
I read in "Streams in the Desert" today a nice anonymous poem about being called aside. It's about the little breaks in our lives, that we may think of as being annoying, aggravating or just frustrating. How we handle those times is important. The traffic jam, the illness, the rut, the obligations, the tug of a child or spouse.
These breaks may be more critical than all the "important" stuff were rushing along to complete. Give them the time and consideration they deserve. It will be well spent. The traffic jam? Imagine Jesus sitting beside you. Are the guys in front of you really morons?

No comments:

Post a Comment