Thursday, December 2, 2010

Drawing up a Violin Outline


I know I touched on this on about my second post, but since I've found my printer is not accurate I figured I'd draw one up by hand...just for fun. The photo shows how I go about it. If I'm using a poster it would be full size. This is a photo of a violin in David Rattray's book Masterpieces of Italian Violin Making. I like the looks of it a lot. Besides the frontal photos it gives dimensions and even some thicknesses. It doesn't have arch profiles, but I may be able to come up with something there. The first thing I do is draw lines through the center, bouts, and corners. Then I try to figure out what relationships they have. For the overall length you can use the real overall length, the length of the mold (with the blocks in) or the pin length. On this one that would be 353mm, 344mm and 334mm, about. Whatever one works on the violin you're drawing at the time is the right one. There was a neat article about how Strad and other Italian makers positioned their f holes by Alvin King that will give you some ideas, not only on the f holes, but also relationships that may come in handy. The lower eyes are always around 5:3 or 3:2 or phi the golden number down from the top. Sometimes the apex of the triangle formed by the eyes is the same number up from the bottom. Other relationships that may not be common for us were used often back then. When we think of angles we think of numbers like sines or cosines or tangents. They would set a divider to the relationships and come up with dimensions with no math at all. I draw it up after figuring out the relationships and then check it by laying the drawing on top of the photo on my lightbox. It won't ever match perfectly, but bad spots will be obvious. Changing a few things will get it good enough. Now I can draw it up full size on the drafting table and see how it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment