Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lazy Day


Well the snow hype has been just that...hype. Fine with me. Instead of shoveling I've had a chance to play! I glued the back on the ribs last night so this morning I popped the belly off and cleaned it up to the final outline. Then I marked 6 places to make cycloid arching curves for. To come up with the parameters for each arch I measured the arch height off the bottom using a dial gauge mounted on a magnetic base placed on my long plane that was upside down in the vise. By subtracting the thickness of the belly at the low point I come up with the total arch. As far as where the low point is I used 5mm in from the edge for the c-bouts, 7mm in for the u-bouts and 9mm in for the l-bouts. I then plug that information into the cycloid program I have in the computer. The program only prints one arch per page. I throw it back in flipped around upside down to print two to save paper. The main arch though the middle already on the plates is the right shape, maybe a little thick, but the right shape. With a gouge I cut some of the recurve out, not going all the way though to the edge. I use a plastic profile gauge to transfer the arch on the belly to the cycloid arch I printed out. Starting out you can see the center is correct, but the recurve is too thick. A few times back an forth between gouge and gauge and the profile is close. After getting them all close I smooth it up with a couple of scrapers. They are still thick right at the edge near the low point, and the purfling, but that will wait until after the purfling is in. Now I can take some stock out of the inside and cut out the f-holes. I want to cut the f-holes early so I can integrate them into the arching.

I really wasn't worried or upset about the snow or cold. Don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I don't do that. Slow drivers find me at my weakest. I need more patience there. Anything else doesn't phase me. I know that all things will pass, and with God all things are possible. Even forgiving slow drivers...some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment