Thursday, June 2, 2011

Getting ready to set the neck


Well I was going to set the neck. Then I realized the fingerboard wasn't smoothed up on the top, but that's not a big deal. The main problem was it wasn't cut away underneath. Kinda hard to do that when the neck is on, without pulling the fingerboard off, and I don't want to do that. That part is a lot easier when you by a fingerboard blank, it's already almost done! Like most of my work I pretty much do the cut out with a scraper. I try using planes and gouges, but I have the best luck with a good sharp scraper. Just hold it in my hand, don't need a vise, and in no time at all you have a prodigious pile of ebony shavings. Ebony (at least this hunk, and the last hunk, and the hunk before that)just seems too splintery to use a gouge or plane.









I use the thickness marker to get my thickness even, just like doing the back, or the belly or ribs. I set it for 6mm, and smooth it up after making all the punch holes disappear. I still need to cut the top and the bottom square. I leave them long when I'm making them because I've found the ends never come out right.
This way I can keep a nice crisp edge that I always seem to lose. Same with the masking tape on the sides. It makes it easier to see the widths, (still not even, but I'll sprinkle magic dust on it before it is done) and keeps the edge sharp. I might glue it on the neck tonight so I'll be ready to set the neck some time this weekend. Goody, goody, I get to work Saturday again.

No comments:

Post a Comment