Monday, June 20, 2011

Neck glued in!



I finished smoothing up the neck last night and glued it in this morning. I really like the assembly board. Makes it a cinch to check the alignment and angle. As you see the eye of the scroll is in line with the line of the ribs. The nut is positioned right around the belly edge. The step is almost 7mm. That's a little high, but not too much. The projection at the 195mm stop is 27mm. I always forget what I set things to...need to make a booklet on each instrument where I can write down all the inspired, or dumb, things I did. You also see my unorthodox method of gluing. No clamps. I can't see the need! The neck is pushed into a dovetail, it can't go anywhere else. I brush glue liberally on the block. Then I slide the neck in place tightly, and double check the alignment and projection. Then you just let it sit. No fumbling, no mumbling.





Now it's on to the pegs. I have 5 blanks cut out. I'm a machinist. I know that one indiscretion can make a piece of scrap. At work it doesn't happen often, even with 62rc steel and .001" or less tolerances, but wood is a fickle thing so the chance of failure goes up. I also have another piece that could make 2 more, in case of disaster. As I've said before, one indiscretion in your life doesn't turn you into scrap. If you know you've done wrong, and confess it to the Lord, you have been made righteous. If it was only that easy on a lathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment