Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 weeks on a neck?






Well. I have the neck joint fitted perfectly. Was going to glue it in. Then I remembered to check the dimensions off my Borman check list (http://www.bormanviolins.com/setupdimensions.asp), and I realized I just roughed it in, the neck wasn't finished! It was 2mm or more thick everywhere. Rather than trying to say "It's for a player with bigger hands" I resolved to make it to print. It's just about smooth now. I don't like playing with the neck after gluing. Especially around the button. Working on the fingerboard while attached to the instrument is easy, but the neck I'd rather finish up. I'm pretty sure I'll glue it in today or tomorrow, but I've learned not to promise anything in advance.






Today is fathers day and we went to visit with my dad yesterday. Spent about an hour and a half there. Don't know how much he'll remember. 5 months ago at the memorial for his brother (see Reflections, Jan. 19,2011), he was doing pretty good for 90. He knew everyone there and was just like normal. Now his memory is fading fast. He doesn't seem to have an attention span of more than a few minutes, then he's off, thinking or doing something else. It seems like he knows that he knows us when we show up. He gets happy and asks how we're doing. But as the visit goes on it seems he knows he knows you, but can't put a finger on who you are, or why he knows you. Physically he's in pretty good shape. Shuns his walker most of the time, and seems to be as comfortable standing around as sitting. He seems to be much more alert than the others in his unit, probably keeps the attendants busy. At least he seems to be doing well, and we were glad to see him.
I don't know why God has things like Alzheimer's to ravage the elderly. But His ways are beyond our comprehension. We want to figure out everything (my wife says she doesn't want to know anything about physics, but that's a different story), but God says not to worry and to carry on. So don't worry. Be happy in the Lord. Enjoy this fathers day while it is here. The memory may fade in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment