Thursday, May 19, 2011

Stalling


I have no camera available right now, and the next few things I'm doing (setting the neck, making the pegs, stringing it up in the white) all need photos. Speaking about stringing it up, anyone have a recommendation for strings? I've only used medium Dominates and an assortment of pure gut strings. The gut ones seem to have more overtones, they sound richer and more interesting. The biggest difference in tension between the gut and synthetic seems to be the E string. Maybe guts, with a light tension steel E?
I figured I could use the time to do work outside, but is is always raining. Or write the music down for 8 songs I wrote. There isn't an excuse for not doing the songs. Except that it is hard when you don't know what you're doing! I looked at some Christian song sheet music yesterday and I noticed I've been lazy in my rhythm. Most songs are not on the beat. When I sing the songs I don't notice that they aren't on the beat, so I write them down on the beat. When I play the song back (with the computer software on a "piano") it sounds dull, and lifeless...because it is on the beat. A couple times I got the notes off somehow (easy when you don't know what you're doing) and they switched to eighth and sixteenth notes with ties. I thought it looked weird. That's the way it's supposed to be! As far as grumbling about the weather. That, and slow drivers are my weakness.
I should be like David when he wrote a psalm. Many start off with gripes or complaints, but they always end with thanks and praise. Thanks for the rain. You know we need it. Praise to the One who makes the clouds to bring the rain, to bring the spring growth, to bring the summer ripening and the fall harvest. Praise even for the winter snow. Praise even for the long cold spring (after the long cold winter), we've only cut the grass twice this year so far! The photo is some Evening Primrose blooming by the pond last year. I hope that's what they are! I thought the creeping stuff behind it was Primrose though. Ah, they are Sundrops. Related to the others but the flowers close at night.

2 comments:

  1. Tricolore from Gamut Music

    -Avid Violinist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for that! Gamut is where I get my strings from, the new "brand" seems worth trying. The leather washer may help as well since I've broke many strings (E's mainly) there. Heifetz used light to medium gauge with a medium E. I might try lights. I tried heavy's on the Ole Bull, and I'll try something different. I'll buy a few Goldbrokat E's in all three gauges (they're cheap), and they seem to be a favorite.

    ReplyDelete