Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Scroll is closer



I worked on the scroll for about an hour the other day, and spent about an hour digging out the pegbox today. Before I go much further I will check the hole locations and open the holes up some. After doing that I'll smooth the inside of the pegbox up. It isn't a spot that needs a great finish, but every time someone puts strings on it they will be looking in there so why not make it nice. I pushed the holes back quite a bit, hopefully I can still string it up!
It wasn't an ordeal to carve the scroll at all. I'm beginning to be more at ease at it. Nothing else on the violin is as complicated. Maybe turning the pegs. I still need to remember to watch the angle on the saw when I rough the turns out. And I also need to watch the line where the saw starts. Sometimes the pencil lines get blurry and my cuts get errant. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. The sharper tools are nice. The maple seems quite soft too, so it is really easy to carve. Maybe I'll have to make the back somewhat thicker than normal. The spruce seems quite stiff so it will be a thinner one.
I don't do worry or paranoia. I really don't understand it. I can't see wasting time thinking about some thing that may or may not happen, and that I can't stop anyway if it does. I have confidence that everything will work out. The first few scrolls I made were ordeals. Grain problems, tear out, saw cuts tilted, you name it, I did it. I still wasn't afraid of doing another. Can't say I was anxious to do another, but I didn't worry about it. Now that I've done a couple that worked out more or less the way I wanted I won't even think twice about doing another. But I better think about keeping the saw square, watching the line, reading the grain...

No comments:

Post a Comment