Saturday, June 19, 2010

Inside of the belly scraped to size


I went to work this morning and the power was out. I couldn't be happier. Friday was stressful, and I really didn't feel like going in on Saturday. We went to garage sales and grocery shopping instead. I don't grocery shop. I look at (read) Christian books while my wife does. Kinda like a library. I have bought books...at the library book sale. There are some nice ones: You were made for this, Crazy love, One in a Million (the one I was just looking at), The story of Matthew, Love Revolution and more. Some stores have cut back, my wife says it's to stop me from reading them for free.
Anyway, back to violins. Between last night, and a little this afternoon, I scraped my belly to size. I use a really hard plane blade from an old, rusty shoulder plane. I don't know what kind of steel it is, but it is very good steel. Does the entire inside profile. As I said before the long arch is a catenary curve from the corner at the flat of the end to the corner at the opposite end on a diagonal. The cross arches, catenary curves as well, go from the lines I drew up and blend to the two diagonal curves. The resulting long arch is shown here. All that complex shape is done with just a chain and a scraper. The arch looks about right. Well, gotta go cut the grass and wash the car now.

No comments:

Post a Comment