Saturday, July 16, 2011

More thinning on the belly





I took the belly off after gluing on the back. I needed to do that to replace a piece of broken rib at a corner. I was shocked to see that the belly weighed 84 grams. Way more than I expected. I expected it to weigh more, but was hoping for high 70's. I evened out some spots that I could feel with the thickness gauge. I'm sure 300 years ago they could feel the same spots with calipers. Then I thinned the central area from about 3mm to 2.5-2.7mm. I also enlarged the 2mm thick areas of the bouts. Got it down to 82g. I may play with it a little more. The long arch and bass bar seem to be working right, I can see it move up and down when I push on the bridge area. I don't see that on another belly I have loose with a bass bar and f holes cut. Maybe I'll see if I can get it to be even more responsive, without lowering the tap tone or weight too much and making it too flimsy.

3 comments:

  1. Didn't see your post until today. Thanks. I'm ready to glue it back up and finish varnishing after cleating the small crack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken,
    May I suggest that you make the inside as perfect as possible on your next instrument. I see many things that can be improved here. The nicer and cleaner you can make it, and the more accurate catenaries, the better it will sound.
    Best regards,
    Torbjörn Zethelius

    ReplyDelete