Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Let it go


I wanted to use yellowheart as an accent wood on the fittings. I tried, and tried, and tried. It won't work. It is too splintery. Drop back and punt. The buttery smooth rosewood is the backup plan. Get over it. The photo shows the offending piece out of rosewood that I just couldn't make out of yellowheart. It also shows what my ground will look like.



I shot one photo from the top down, the other from the bottom up, to tried to show the flame. I have my ground all figured out. A coat or two of wattery gum. A coat of liquid resin to seal. Then a coat of varnish to put some color on it. The varnish is quite dark, but I don't remember what it was. There is kind of a label on it, but I don't understand my abbreviations! I will use Joe's varnish on the real one, just haven't ordered it yet. I have some oopsies to fix before I can seal the plates up. A couple spots I carved right through the purfling...oops. One piece of the ribs in the corner broke off...oops. The underside of the f holes is splintered in spots...oops. Oops seems to be the word of the day. I'm not perfect. Nobody is. Only one man ever was. He gave his life for ours. Won't you give yours for him?

No comments:

Post a Comment