Sunday, April 24, 2011

Balance


Balance is something that isn't a big subject on violin forums. Varnish, grounds, purling, f-holes, all get attention. Balance is a side subject. I think I've seen more comments about balance when it comes to violas. They are a trickier beast. By putting your left arm out further the viola suddenly gets heavier. We pull parts and tools off the machines sometimes at work that are hotter than we expected....they get heavy fast too! Some luthiers have suggested carving the back and belly until it balances on a certain point. I think that some move the neck step to 10mm, or more on violas mostly to get a different (better?) balance point while it is being played. I balance and tune fingerboards and tailpieces, unless I forget that I didn't and plunge forward on the next step. What's the point of balancing and tuning them? I don't know. It just came to my head one day, it was doable, so I did it. Many times I get ideas in my head and I do them if I can. Songs and poems come that way. If you don't do it then, it may not get done. Balancing and tuning seem to go together on fingerboards and tailpieces. By some odd twist of fate (sure) the fingerboard is half attached to the neck, and half cantilevered over the belly. I found that they can be balanced and tuned. Do they sound better? I don't know. Tailpieces are the same way. I found that out when I made my first one. It was a baroque wedge shaped one. I found while drawing it up, the area was the same at the ends, and stayed about the same area equidistant from the center. Most modern tailpieces are heavier on the bottom half. The one I just made I balanced, but forgot to tune. It is a bit heavier than I would have liked, but I'll see how it does. The photo shows 2 store bought, and 2 homemade tailpieces. I like the inlaid one for my tiny 1666 Strad, but it is more work. I'm thinking that I need to make the fittings beforehand. When things get almost done I get too antsy to be playing around making stuff. Balance is always supposed to be a good thing. But on some things in life you don't want balance. You just need to have a one track mindset. Place your life in the hands of Jesus and let him lead your life. That is one thing you don't need to balance out.

No comments:

Post a Comment