Saturday, April 2, 2011

going slow


Well, I've started the tailpiece finally today. I have the top radius finished. Did it mainly with a flat plane blade used as a scraper. The profile is cut, but isn't perfect yet, done with a coping saw and half round file. The underside is roughed out with my 1" blue steel gouge. The holes are drilled in the end for the tailgut, done with a hand drill and .088" bit. No not an electric hand drill, the kind you turn with your right hand like a hand egg beater, remember those? Not unless you're as old as me, or work in a museum. I guess I better not say too much more about that until I carve away the underside where the nuts will go and make sure the holes were straight! I played around with some ground applications since it is getting near the end and I may want to try sealing the wood before I finish the tuning up. To early to tell how that turned out. Anyway, secret grounds and varnish are the key to a great instrument.

I wrote a poem a couple days ago and it was talking about believing in God just by belief, not reason, and doing what He says by faith in the outcome, not what you think. In other words take the Bible at it's word. I had a dream about the same thing last night. The point in the dream was not to just believe the things you like in the bible and gloss over the hard parts. Things would never get done if people always skipped the hard parts on their jobs. Cars wouldn't get built, space travel wouldn't happen, doctors would never become doctors, Gods work wouldn't get done. The message was reiterated in one of the books I read this morning (not the WHOLE books!) Loving God, by Charles Colson. He related a story where a friend had glossed over parts in the bible that said it was his job to help people, defend the defenseless, right injustice, etc. It's easy to say that you are good and nice, much harder to get involved. Don't know where I'm going to be called, but with all these things coming together I'll have to keep my eyes open. Sometimes things you could do are subtle. Sometimes they hit you like a brick.

No comments:

Post a Comment