Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I've made amends!




Dah? That's what I thought when I realized my violin isn't done yet. Why not pop the offending rib off and re-glue it the right way. A little water and heat on the iron, and the rib was turned inside out. I'm so used to running parts on the lathe. If you mess that up it's time for another piece of stock. The joint still isn't what I'd like to accomplish, but it's a little better. At least the flame looks better. Now it's on to the linings on this one.
I also have the Birch violin ready to glue the purfling in. I had one little piece break out between the edge and the groove. Better than I've fared before when I didn't put a light size of glue around the edge first. The chunk is on the bench, I just haven't glued it on yet. This one is the first time I marked the f holes and made the arching fit them, instead of doing the arching and then just pasting the f holes on. From what I remember (it's been a while since I was working on the arching) it is about .5mm or so thicker than the pattern right now. This one has a heavy, hard slab Birch back, and a light, low density Englemann belly. That is the suggested combination according to Nigel Harris to make a violin that sells fast. We'll see about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment