Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gluing the Liners


I'm gluing in the liners now. You can see the box of tiny clamps I have. I don't remember how much they cost. I bought them at an Amish flea market for 6 or 8 for a dollar, I think. I put 9 on each side of the top bout...12 on each side of the bottom. The c bouts are already done, but I have enough clamps to do all the liners on a side. Liners are one of the things that aren't made out of a specific kind of wood. Some people say that willow wood is the best. Some use only spruce. I've seen people use walnut. These ones are Yellow Poplar, I think. I've made all my linings from wood I scavenged out of pallets at work. I find a light piece that "rings" nice. I tap every piece of wood I see. If it is really light, and rings clearly and with a high pitch I check it out closer. I want to find a piece that I can cut the linings on the quarter. I don't know if they are supposed to be that way, but that is the way I do it. They seem easier to bend that way. Another board I've used is American Sycamore. I've made some backs out of Sycamore so I used the Sycamore linings on them. They look really cool. Both the Sycamore and the Yellow Poplar bent very nicely. I had no idea what kind of wood either of these were until I got them home and smoothed them up with a plane. The piece of wood I've used for the top block, and also the bottom block on this one, was also scavenged. I think that piece was willow. It's gone now, so I have to keep my eyes pealed now for block wood too.

No comments:

Post a Comment