Monday, July 5, 2010

Moving along on the belly


Before I get to the belly I want to show the long arch on the inside of the back. A few posts back I showed the inside of the belly and you can see that the back long arch is not nearly as deep and it doesn't rise so fast off the blocks. Also the point where the chain hits the wood is higher up on the back than the same point on the belly. That point can be changed depending on where the maker decided the thickest point on the back should be. Some, like this one are above the center. Others are lower, but still above center. The latest Strad poster, a beautiful 1736 del Gesu, has the thickest point well below center. First one I've seen like that.


Now here is the belly. I've gone about as far as I can on it until I make the ribs up and mark the outline on the plates and cut them out to size. Then I can put the purfling in and the ff holes. At that point I can finish the arching up. Right now the central area between the blocks and about half of the width is 3mm thick. The edge is around 4mm. In between those points the gouge (my 2" wide #3 Flexcut) just kinda blends it in. This area is still quite thick, because I won't finish the inside of this area until later.

I saw a Chevy Volt in the parking lot at Home Depot today. After parking I went to check it out. It's a nice looking car. The battery pack location puts a big hump in the middle of the car, but makes the inside look like a Lotus Esprit. Even has buckets in the back. What cracked me up was the humor of the engineers...you could see three red 5 gallon gas cans through the hatch window.

No comments:

Post a Comment