Friday, July 30, 2010

I'm still here...somewhere


It's been a while since I did anything on the violin. Been busy. A guy at work took my Montagnana model home last weekend and had a friend who plays check it out. She thought it played nice and sounded as good as the $3-4,000 violins at a local string shop. That's good news. The photo is the Montagnana. The color looks about right on the photo, but it isn't very clear. Another photo was more clear, but it used a flash and the color and look was to nasty for me. I still don't understand why cameras don't see things the way we do. This weekend I gave him the Ole Bull copy for a little feedback. He had it the other night and told me that he thinks it has a nice rich tone, but the varnish is still sticky. Yikes! I varnished it in January! I agree it is my best violin as far as sound goes, but sticky varnish.... I'll have to address that issue. Thanks for being honest Jeremy.
I've discovered the main reason I like making violins. It could be that I like to work with my hands. True. It could be that I like to figure out stuff, and even throw in some trig for fun. True. It could be that I like the sculpture, art, athestics part of it. True. It could be the search for better sound, and to improve my craftsmanship too. True. Are any of these the main reason. I thought so, but they're not. The main reason is that it is the one thing that I do that no one makes me, wants me, expects me to do. It is basically a WANT of me. Everyone has wants. Everyone has needs. I don't have too many needs, well they are all taken care of, so I don't even think about them. Thanks God. But wants...didn't think I wanted anything. There are things I'd like, but nothing that I want. Or so it seemed. But I think I want the time alone, turning pieces of wood into a musical instrument.I like listening to my mp3 player while working on it, singing along. Following a plan I decided on, and I figured out, and I have control over. Sounds like I like being in charge of it all. I usually don't take charge of anything. Kind of strange, and a little too deep for this time of night. I'll let it go at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment