Saturday, July 10, 2010

The back outside roughed in


This is the back all roughed in. Took the photo last night about 8:30 so it is pretty blue. Just like a fluorescent light it doesn't look blue unless you look right at it, the, back didn't look blue sitting on the table, only the photo does. Why aren't cameras as good as eyes are? Oops, I deleted the photo by mistake. I'll have to take another later. Just took the photo today, Monday, at 6pm. Still looks blue. Cameras are strange. It doesn't have film, so why not show it as is?

I used my 1" Japanese gouge to cut most of the arching on the back again. Then I use the 2" Flexcut as a scraper to smooth things out. My curved scraper around the edge finishes it up. Before smoothing the shape looks really cool. The combination of almond shaped divots and the flame makes it look like waves on the ocean. Cool, but very hard to really see the shape. Like the belly, the shape is generated from the inside arch. Unlike the belly, the arching is not a copy of the inside arch. The thickness pattern produces a long arch that is a circle. The thicknesses I have now are about 20% thick. I think the maple I have is not as strong as the other woods I've used so I'll start a little thick, you can always take stock off. I have 5.2mm at the narrow point of the c bout, <4mm in the upper bouts and <3mm in the lower bouts. As on the belly the archings follow the inside arch a little less than half way across and then I just blend them out to the 4mm edge. Once the outline is finalized I can blend the recurve in.

About the outline...it's about time I got one. Rib bending is in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment