Thursday, May 6, 2010

My wood order is in


Here is the wood I ordered to make this violin. I was instructed to get "real" violin wood. The old masters got there wood from local merchants, who in turn got the wood from as near or far as they had to go to get it. The mountains of Europe was the source for the spruce, and the maple was either from there as well, or sometimes even more local wood. Now in the internet world, "local" wood is at the touch of a keystroke. I decided to buy my wood from Old Standard, a tonewood supplier in Missouri. That's fairly local. Their specialty is red maple and red spruce, also known as Adirondack spruce.
I phoned the order in and the guy on the line asked me what kind of wood I was looking for...how much flame on the maple? what kind of grain spacing on the spruce? how about red lines or irregularities? Almost like picking through the bin myself. I told him I was looking for something with fairly light flame. The shop owner had told me to get less expensive wood. I didn't need highly flamed stuff, just makes it harder to carve. Examining the poster I found that the Titan doesn't have spectacular maple anyway, kind of fades. The guy at the wood store said he had some mandolin wood that might fit the bill, they don't worry so much about flame as their finish is usually too dark to see much flame anyway! Looking at the wood it doesn't look lightly flamed at all. The better stuff must be spectacular. He set me up with a matching piece for the neck and a huge chunk to saw up ribs. The spruce looks nice, I actually like grain that isn't perfectly even, and he added a few strips for bass bars.
We're ready to make chips.

1 comment:

  1. Some folks make $20,000 instruments out of this "cheap" wood :D

    ReplyDelete