Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Marking out the Neck


I haven't had much time to do anything lately. My "real" job has been busy. I went from working afternoons for 8 hours to working days for 10 hours...with no day off. A couple months ago I couldn't find a job. Guess I can't complain. Being in demand is better than sitting on the couch. I almost have the back arching set, but I need some more computer time to dial it in. Tonight I was itching to do something so I marked out the scroll for the neck. I've seen pictures of scrolls on old instruments that have pin pricks around the eye. Seems like they used that to mark the neck blank with a template. Decided to do mine the same. I used my trusty light box, I think it is the same model that Strad used, and copied the scroll profiles from the poster on to a scrap piece of paper. I always save paper that isn't printed on both sides, or hardly at all for re-use. Then I made a fold along the top where the fingerboard sits and placed it on the wood. Folding the other side down I slide them to the line I drew for the nut and taped them in place. Using a push pin I punched the outline on the the neck blank. Now I feel in touch with the old masters. If I can saw it out to the line I will feel even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment