Friday, July 3, 2015

The 5 string

Like I said, I'm doing a 5 string. I drew up a Maggini cello from 1600 that I think looks great. Turns out in 1/2 scale the stop length is the same as a violin. My brain went crazy and thought 5 string; so that's what it is. I had to change it some. The actual stop is right on center. Bruce Carlson said that is fairly typical for Brescian instruments. But they had the bridge low. Here it is:


It is a sweet thing isn't it? I lowered the f holes so they matched where the bridge was. Then I had to lower the lower corner because the cool f holes somehow lost some of their length. Not really, but it just looked that way. Then I had to lower the centerline of the lower bout. I ended up with this:


Once I get the outline on the roughed out plates, it won't take too long to finish up.

No comments:

Post a Comment