Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Gagliano

I'm working on a Plowden del Gesu. It is the first violin with a low arch that I've tried. It's coming along good. I am also fixing up the purfling on the Gagliano viola I drew up. I really like the shape of it. I like the shape of the Gagliano cello and violin too. I've been working on Guadagnini viola, and the purfling is way off from even around the top of the back. I have no idea how that happened. I found out that the slab back should have been set up heart side up. That just seems weird to me, but I've read it from several sources lately.

Besides that: I just don't like the big chunky look of the beast. It is close to being hideous.

So I was trying to make up a viola shape that was a mix of the older, slimmer Guadagnini violins and cellos, and morph them into a viola, like I did the Gagliano. It just wasn't working. I had a dream that night of throwing all the papers in the trash. So that's what I did. I'm going to stick with what I like and make a family of instruments that I drew up from the photos of the Gagliano cello and violin. They only showed the backs so I used photos of other Gaglianos to get the f holes designed.

The shape of the violin is very much like the early Guadagnini violins. The holes aren't cool oval ones, but then the corners don't poke out like sore thumbs either. Even the arching seems to have the fullness of the Guadagnini. He made high arched, and low arched violins, so there is room to play around. The viola has a 19 mm or so arch. I picked that because it looks like a Grancino viola of about the same size (420 mm), so it isn't unduly high.

I thought of getting the poster for the Gaglino violin, and cello. The cello is by Allisandro? and not Nicolo. Did they work in the same style? Maybe I can just come up with my own. Right now I'm happy with the outlines, and can get back to work. I will redraw the cello, the wone I have is a little messy, and have it blown up double size to make a pattern. Then I can make a mold and start on a cello too.

2 comments:

  1. Allesandro 1695-1730 father
    Nicolo 1700-1740 son Stradivari style instruments
    Ferdinand 1700-1735 son
    Januarius 1740 son
    Ferdinand 1780's same family
    Guiseppe 1780 son
    Giovanni 1850
    Antonio 1868 produced good work
    Raphael 1868 produced good work too

    It would be better if you had Nicolo's work in front of you vs his fathers work from what I've read. All of the above mentioned were named Gagliano- same family with Alleasandros' father having the same first name as he had. Can't say if the 1st was a maker or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Nicolo is the one I like. I found a CT scan of a Nicolo Gagliano violin. Very telling. It is one of the higher arched ones, and it gives me as many arch profiles as I could need. I'll have to do some work.

    ReplyDelete