Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Cello from Start to Finish

I have some projects going on. The Gagliano viola, and the Plowden, need to be finished up. But my big project will be the Gagliano cello. I don't have the Allesandro Gagliano poster. I'm using the Nicollo Gagliano from 1774 that was featured in the 2008 Christophe Landon calendar that came in The Strad. It also has a cool Gagliano violin on the same page. That's what got me hooked on Gagliano.

It is a quite narrow, shorter cello, that looks narrower than the nice one on the Norway site, I forget what that one is. I like the shape of the narrow one better. I bought some shelving for 49 cents each at Menards to make up a mold.

Here is my drawing. It is 732 long, and the waist is 222. I may make the top 2% bigger ala Guadagnini. Any help or suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. The top will be a length of 746.64 based on a back length of 732. The waist will be 237.44 vs 222. These are the figures for a 2% bigger top. If you can get the mold contour and corner block sections to come out as well as the drawing above you'll be in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence. A little of that goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete