Sunday, April 13, 2014

Organization

I have the workbench areas organized now. I still need to figure out how to handle drawings better, and storing moulds too, but it's not too bad. This morning I cut some 3/4" dowel into 10 mm or so slices, and put them in the dog holes. I didn't like the idea of the chips and dust falling right on the cabinet top.


I'm using that area to store whatever I'm working on at the moment, and my calipers, little clamps for linings and stuff, and a tray with sharpening stones. Things I might need while working. Also the brush to sweep the bench off with. I don't mind sweeping the floor, but I don't want that area on the bench getting full of chips.


I have the drawers set up with things I use the most. Top drawer: gouges, I use the 3 on the right (old chisels) and the 1" incannel (2nd from the left) more than any others. The left one is a very useful scraper.


Next down are the chisels, scrapers, scale, and a few other things.


Next drawer has my files, knives, and trusty chain. I like to keep it on the little piece of plastic so it doesn't get lost.


The bottom drawer has my little planes, and some other stuff. I plan on making a scrub plane, and a cello sized version of the nice Lie Nielson plane I do most of my roughing with.


I wanted everything I might need close by, so I hung my saws, drill, and hammer on the sides:



We bought a shelving unit yesterday to store wood on. I have the cello wood on the second shelf, block wood, and miscellaneous pieces on the top, mostly viola backs and ribstock on the next one down, and stock that could be used for necks on the almost empty one. Nothing for violins and no spruce at all.


Moving the block wood and other pieces from my other bench freed it up; it was really jam packed. I have boxes that can house the wood for a violin or viola, and stock for fingerboards and fittings, and clamps and things for gluing up the ribcages. Now I can pull the boxes out easily. Right now there are 3 violins, and 2 violas in the boxes. The bench is used for glueing blocks on the moulds to keep them flat, for varnishing, and the plans are under the glass for referral.


Now, can I keep it like that?






2 comments:

  1. Greetings! I'd just like to thank you briefly for writing this blog. I'm a young student who's just recently decided to follow my dream of getting into violin making. Your posts have been an inspiration for organizing my own workshop, which is a tiny space in an enclosed balcony. Hope you keep posting, all the best and happy Easter!
    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be of help. Be aware that once you start it is quite easy to become addicted. Thankfully it is not an addiction that is sinful! You will learn to be patient, and not impulsive. And as you learn that, you will learn that you have to face, and fix your mistakes. It is hard to be prideful, because you know every fault, and the wood will be more than happy at times to put you in your place. Best of luck to you, and feel free to ask questions, or even tell us of some of your revelations.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete