Saturday, June 14, 2014

Sap Pocket

I am making a violin for the VSA Competition. I was going to go to Arizona this year, but our daughter is coming up here in a couple of weeks, so my wife asked if there was somewhere else to go. When we found out the VSA was in September and not December, she asked why not do that one. I shouldn't have any problem getting it finished. The ribs are done. The back and belly are roughed in. The neck and scroll are almost finished. The wood is really cool, and the archings seem to be really strong.

I ran into a sap pocket on the inside of the belly. I thought that maybe it would be either right where the f hole would be cut, or somewhere that it wouldn't be right on the edge of it. I lucked out. It is right under the upper wing.


I took a few pictures of it but I can't figure out how to get close ups with this camera, and they are all blurry. This is it after cutting it open to fit a patch. I cut a piece of spruce tall enough so I could hold on to something to fit it.


It doesn't take long scraping with a knife, and checking with chalk, before it is ready to glue in place. I saw of the excess, and trim it down to leave it only a few mm's proud of the surface.


I finally found that I could shoot through the magnifier, and it worked pretty good. This morning I trimmed it down, and it came out half way decent; almost like a trained professional. I tried to take some photos through the magnifier again, and most of the didn't work! What is a good camera, that takes good macro photos? Anyway, here is the finished patch.


The long arch is almost finished. Most of the stock is in the recurve and the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment