Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My wood is here!

I ordered some wood to do these two violins. I have the two violas that both need to be thinned and glued up, but the starting is always more fun than fixing up some mistake; the vile purfling. The wood came yesterday, about 15 minutes before I had to go to work. I had time to take it out of the boxes, and stack it up in the basement. I don't think the dry upstairs would be good for it just yet.

I ordered my wood from Orcas Island Tonewood http://www.rockisland.com/~tonewoods. I bought the wood for the violas (except the cherry back on the Guadagnini) from him, and I like the Sitka with bearclaw. I needed another back, and found on e on his specials page that matches another I bought from him in the last order. He calls it crazy wood. The grain goes all over the place, and the flames are straight in the middle, and angle up on the top, and angle down on the bottom. It's crazy.


I ordered a neck block with good flame to match the other one I've started carving. This block carves like butter, I thought it would be a pain.


I ordered two bellies, and told Bruce what I like: bearclaw, squiggly wavy grain, shimmer, not the normal stuff, and he delivered. Yeah, he delivered. This set will be for the del Gesu,


and the first piece I saw was the split side of a suntanned belly; truthfully, it didn't look like much:


but, then I turned it over and was blown away! Wowzers! It is perfect for the Montagnana, and hopefully it will sing as good as it looks.


Packed in with that box were these:


What the heck could those be for? A lifetime supply of linings? Well, no. I ordered something more:


Cello wood. How is that going to fit on my Black and Decker Workmate? I have that figured out. Woodcraft has a sale on one of their workbenches; you get the cabinet free. It isn't a huge, really solid bench with 4X4 legs, and dovetail joints; but it is way more than a Workmate. We were going to pick it up on Saturday, and then we realized the sale ends Friday, so we went down there today. They didn't have one in stock, but it is ordered, and will be in Tuesday, or Wednesday next week. That will be another post.







No comments:

Post a Comment