Sunday, September 18, 2011

Trouble in Paradise


Should it surprise me. No. This violin has taken forever to do. I noticed it the other day when I got around to smoothing up the first coat of varnish after it dried. A crack. Never saw it before. Didn't appear to be much, but it was there. So I had to pop the belly off and put a couple studs under the crack. While pulling the top off I smelled pine....uncured varnish. A small bit got in an area on the bottom block, must not have been perfectly flat. So I ran a plane blade over the area on the block and the belly. Didn't seem bad. The crack doesn't go all the way through to the inside, except for the overhang area, and that is going to be cut away for the saddle.






I decided to put two studs on it. One right at the block and the other right near the end of the crack that shows on the outside, right at the end of the bass bar. I imagine both areas are high movement areas (relative to a violin) and better to be extra cautious. I'll glue the belly back on tomorrow. This time maybe I'll remember to put the pins in too, to fill the holes. Oh yeah, I have to make 'em, that's why they never got put in the first time! Where do you buy 3/32" dowel rod?

No comments:

Post a Comment