Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Roughed out Cello Belly

I have the belly roughed out; really rough. It is 8+ mm everywhere, and way big on the outside, but I may have to add a peice at the lower bouts as wide as the purfling, maybe. I don't know what I did, but I must have either measured wrong, traced wrong, or the joint was way off when I planed it on the lower half. I don't remember any of that, but we'll get to that when we have to.

It is surprising how fast it went. About 5 hours total after gluing it up. It is about double the weight at 880 grams. (I used the kitchen scale) and the tap tones are viola like at 360/180hrz. I don't know if th etones will drop in half when the weights drop in halve; but it does seem to me that at least the wood is in the ballpark.


Here it is this morning before cutting it out with a coping saw. It is much easier to saw spruce than maple. But, I bet you knew that.



I can refine it some before I have to build the ribs so I can finalize the outline.

First off, I will have to be sure that the bottom is still flat. It doesn't seem to have moved.

Then I will cut the eges down to about 6 mm. That should be plenty.

On the inside I can take the long arch out to the blocks, or close to them, and re-do the cross arches to match.

Then I can carve the ceter area of the front down to a smooth circle, and even out the thicknesses.

Then I can blend the cross arches into the edges. They will still be high.

That is about it. If I do the same with the back, I can arrainge things like arch height (I have some room on the belly, but not the back) and thickening, to get the plates to be close in pitch. I don't really know if it matters, but it is easy enough to do. THat is about all that can be done until it gets down to finishing.

5 comments:

  1. Do you use those Chladni patterns when finding the sound of the plates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't have any interest in that. I just tap them, and listen to the sound. Some can have a half a dozen different notes just moving where you hold them, and tap them. I don't mean a fundamental, and a fifth, and an octave. I mean C, C#, Eb, F... Lots of different notes close together. Usually they start out as a fundamental and octave, and maybe a fifth though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I notice that too with all the notes one can get just with-in an inch or so finger/thumb movement on the plate. What would those Chladni patterns be used for that could help plate tuning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what they would be used for. If it is just to make a pattern, and make a triad ring strongly from a plate I can't see that it has anything of service to a violin maker. Maybe for a scientist, but not a maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One way that could work for a maker would be to try the tests on a well known, good sounding violin. But these days, who would disassemble one and do that to a high dollar instrument? Maybe they didn't have the answers after testing back then or someone figured something and kept it a secret or someone just flat out misunderstood when told about the tests.

      Delete