Thursday, November 27, 2014

Cello Plane

I've been working on a cello plane for over a week now. It is finaly done. I made it our of a chink of Yellowheart I had. Ijust cut a slot in it for the blade, and there is a wedge that closes the gap before the blade. I had to make two inserts for it; one before the blade, and the other at the blade tip, The Yellowheart is kind of splintery, and the edges there got nasty from going at it with chisels.

The blade is 7 mm thick A9 that is 60rc. It should hold up fairly well, and be solid enough. It is set at about 16 degrees or so, and the angle on the blade is about 33 degrees, so it is approximately a York pitch at 49 degrees.

It works good, but I only tried it on a chunk of maple, and didn't have the handles on it yet, so I don't know how it really feels. The handles should make it easier to use. The front handle looked like a weasel to me, so I added two eyes and a nose to make him Mr.Weasel. Here he is:


I hope there is enough room for chips.


I chose the arch this way to be slightly smaller that the smallest that I might find in the cross arch of a cello at the c bout.


The arch this way would fit in the shortest, deepest cello back.


There he is complete.

That part is out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment