Thursday, March 13, 2014

Starting the Ribcage

I really don't like planing a lot of wood off the end blocks, and corner blocks. I saw them close to finish length, and plane/scrape them flat. I check to be sure the gluing surface is square with both the top and bottom, especially the bottom, and get the glue ready. I'll have to do this in the dining room. The light is bright, and it is warm. The basement is not.



I have some metal blocks that I use to set the mould on so that the blocks are glued so they stick up about the same on both sides. Since most models have a taper somewhere on the top, this should be considered. The del Gesu is 30 mm thick from the bottom to the top corner, then it drops to 28 mm. My mould is 1/2" MDF. I like MDF. It is nicer than plywood, and much nicer than that smelly chipboard I make the other mould from. If it was 30 mm straight across, 8.7 mm blocks would get the mould centered perfectly. If the block were that high, the space above the upper block would only be 6.6 mm. That doesn't give you any room to put the liners on. The blocks I have now are 8.8 mm. I guess I only have 6.5 mm, unless I can find something else. They will work fine for the Montagnana, it is a straight taper from head to toe from 31 to 28 mm, but the chipboard is only 10 mm thick. They may even be a little short for that.



I found three 5/16 tool bits, so I'll use them. That way I gain .9 mm. Make sure to check that the corner blocks are positioned so that they have stock on them, or you will have to move them later. Everything checked it is time to glue. It doesn't take more than a few minutes.

I usually use my bench downstairs. I put a glass top on it from an aquarium that broke, and it make a great surface for glue ups and varnishing. Every mess is easy to clean up, and the surface is flat, and smooth. If you are glueing on the dining room table I suggest poster board like I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment