Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ribs, 3 Ways

I get my ribstock off the backs. I have had a couple backs that came with a separate piece for ribs, but usually I saw them off the extra stock on the back. I don't know if that's what most people do. So I have 3 backs cut out, but I just started on the ribs. Here's what I have:






The first is the way I usually do it. The stock was thicker than needed, but not any wider, so a long rip cut left me with this. It isn't all smooth yet, and it looks like it will be "fun" to bend.






Then the one I started the other post of long rip cut. It was extra wide, 33mm or so extra wide so there was enough left over after roughing out the outline to get a set of ribs too... I think. It might be a tight squeeze, but there should be enough for a violin. I left the tabs on to clamp it while roughing some of the stock off.






This is the last one. I looked at the leftover from the last one I cut out. That one has the light/dark luminous wood. If I'm careful there is enough to make another violin! This one I'll flip the one side over so it is easier to carve. I won't be bookmatched, the thick area was on the outside, but it doesn't look bad, the wavyness seems to work. The light/dark still won't match, something about it just won't let it happen, but at least you can carve in the same direction on both sides. There was enough left at the big end to cut 2 chunks 33mm wide for ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment