Monday, December 31, 2012

Time to get going

Well Christmas is past, and tomorrow is a new year. I went downstairs last night and figured out what I'm using for this high arched violin. Some big leaf for the back, nothing fancy, but I like the curled grain lines and have never carved big leaf before (have one glued up for the Plowden) and a even grained Sitka for the belly. The fittings will all be Yucatan rosewood. I have two other instruments started, but they stalled out last year, and I'm going to jump start building with this Guadagnini violin and I want to keep track of the time. The stock is big enough for a viola, but I have the plans fresh in my head, and a fingerboard roughed out (1 hour to saw, plane, and shape, 1 hour to smooth, undercut and polish, for that I just burnished it with my fingernails, worked pretty good.)






So I have 2 hours into it. I'd like to do 2-3 hours a day, and some on the weekend. The only way I'll do it is to just do it. Todays plan is to cut up stock off my turning square to make a tailpiece and the pegs and button (I always forget to turn it, because the head is different). Then it's just a matter of turning the pegs, and finishing the tailpiece to size. Once I get that stuff done (they're usually bought) I'll work on sawing and squaring up the neck block, cutting ribstock, jointing and gluing the back and belly up, and sawing out the mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment